Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Man, jnorv can pack!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Man, jnorv can pack!

    I just received a pair of Altec large format drivers from jnorv (Jim) friday. The 75lb monster container arrived intact and unmolested.

    Jim put a ton of time and thought into packing these drivers so they would arrive safely. Jim an I exchanged a handful of emails and he would tell me how he was coming along and his progress building the "right" shipping crate. Knowing how he went about it, I decided to take photos as I went through the unpacking.

    Outer box was lined with 2"+ of rigid foam. Inner crate was built by Jim and the drivers were wrapped in plastic, surrounded by flexable foam sheeting and then foamed in place.

    The packing itself was a marvel to behold and the drivers as well

    Great job Jim, and thanks!

    RC

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    WoW, incredible packaging job. Thks for the photos

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    For what it is worth, I used Great Stuff Big Gap Filler to foam in the drivers. I tried their standard foam but it did not work.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Talk about a "how to" of packing, almost makes you not want to unpack them! Okay, probably not. Nice job.

    Dave
    "When words fail, music speaks" - HC Anderson

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Wow, those look mighty sweet!
    Great job on the packing, I love to see that kind of stuff.

    Are those going on the Edgarhorns? I need to get over to the Casa de Canoe to see some of this stuff.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member theophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast.Queensland.Australia.
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Copybook packing job.

    Which model 288s are they?I just got a pair of 288-8Ks earlier this year.
    Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    I bought my first pair of Altec drivers, 802D's, from Jammin Jersey in LA. They put them in a small cardboard box and poured in some packing peanuts. Fortunately was I was only 400 miles up the coast and they arrived in reasonably good shape. Needless to say I never bought anything from them again.

    Jim N

  8. #8
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    Wow, those look mighty sweet!
    Great job on the packing, I love to see that kind of stuff.

    Are those going on the Edgarhorns? I need to get over to the Casa de Canoe to see some of this stuff.
    Hey Lance! I haven't decided what these will be used with yet. If I could find myself a pair of 30166 adaptors, I would be using them with my 804B multicells. I almost thought I had a stab at a pair that was on auction about a week or so ago. I watched them go from $53 to $187 with 10 minutes to go. Figuring people might lose interest at about $200 (which I think is nuts personally) I continued to watch. They closed at $530!!!!! Somebody must have wanted those BAD.

    Yep, You will have to stop by and check out things. Also, pick to up that JBL gear.




    Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Copybook packing job.

    Which model 288s are they?I just got a pair of 288-8Ks earlier this year.
    They are the 288-8K's. I will probably end up running them in a 3-way unless I switch to the GP diaphragms at some point. Then, a nice 2-way would be sweet.

    RC

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Hey Doucanoe, What would you think of reproduction throats?

    I'm considering starting a little side line in bronze cast throats for horn users. Of course still need an original to make a mold from...

    leland.design.studio - leland . design . studio

    My web site needs a lot of work....but you get the idea.

    Do you think people would buy a well made reproduction....or not?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.